AFTER DIMITRI: Chinese chinoiseries.
Welcome to part 3 of our epic trip last summer. After Russia and Mongolia, we spent a month in China. I’ll be honest and admit I really had no desire to visit China. I was kind of influenced by the media, etc.
We’ll I’m glad we went. It’s an incredible country, a huge country, so diverse you can actually notice changes in people’s faces in different regions.
It’s also a very frustrating country. They answer “yes” to every single question you might ask, they smile at you while trying to rip you off and buying a train ticket is probably harder and more challenging than running a Fortune 500 company!
Still, it is an amazing place, well worth the visit but do not it is extremely hot and humid in the summer! That was probably the toughest part…
Here are the things I remember most:
- the tuk-tuks;
- feeling helpless;
- the Great Wall, it’s beyond your wildest dreams;
- the GINORMOUS crowds;
- the delicious dim sum;
- the spitting, it’s no legend;
- having the wheels of the train changed to fit the Chinese railway;
- the muslim quarter in Xian;
- the humidity;
- the variety of food;
- the terracotta warriors;
- the men wearing their shirts over their bellies;
- riding a tandem bike on top of the wall at Xian;
- the otherworldly mountains around Yangshuo;
- the Bund in Shanghai;
- the engrish signs, they’re no legend either;
- sitting in a train’s hard seat for 14 straight hours;
- the cuteness of pandas;
- the rice terraces in the Yunnan region;
- bustling Hong Kong;
I could go on forever! Same goes for the photos. I originally wanted to select 10 to 15 but it was impossible! I still managed to bring the selection down to 35 pictures.
As usual, if you want to see bigger versions of these photos, head on over to my Facebook profile. And follow me if you aren’t already!
As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, I was really reluctant to go to China and now, I am really happy I did. I can only recommend you visit this country. I know I’ll be going back to visit parts we did not manage to see this time.